The 11th annual 2009 Annual Women Veterans Luncheon was a great success! On Saturday, November 14 over 125 people gathered in the EUC ballroom at UNC-G to celebrate women veterans and the Women Veterans Historical Project.
The keynote speaker was Brigadier General Clara Adams-Ender, U.S. Army, Retired. Adams-Ender is a graduate of North Carolina A&T University in Greensboro and served in the Army Nurse Corps from 1961-1993. In 1991 she was appointed commander of Fort Belvoir, Virginia, which made her the first nurse in army history to become the commanding general of a major military base. General Adams-Ender was both very inspiring and funny as she spoke about "The 3 C's: Telling the Stories of Women Veterans."
The program also included a number of other events:
- A tour of the collection stacks by Betty Carter
- Presentation of Colors: Army ROTC, NC A&T State University
- Greetings sent from U.S. Senators Richard Burr and Kay Hagan
- Remarks from U. S. Representative Howard Coble
- Musical Entertainment by the UNCG male a cappella group, the Spartones
- Exhibits of uniforms, hats and recruiting materials
The only note of sadness was that Betty Carter announced that she was retiring in May 2010. Carter founded the Project in 1998 and transformed it into the world renowned repository it has grown into. The WVHP has been a labor of love for Carter and she will be greatly missed by both the veterans and her colleagues.
You can see all of the photos of the luncheon here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncgspecial/sets/72157622829925411/
** All photographs taken by Dean Rhoades**